Monday, August 19, 2013

If You Don't Have Boundaries, You Won't Respect Those of Others

Unless something goes wrong, you don't have a story. So, since I had very smooth travel home from Grand Rapids today, there is not much of a story to tell. One little case of world-as-mirror I found interesting. A woman in the departure lobby was talking so loudly and copiously on her cell phone that she was intrusive on people (including me) far away, and I thought, "This is someone who doesn't respect other people's boundaries."
      Boarding our little Embraer 50-seat plane, she had a meltdown, screaming at the flight attendant, "I can't do this! I'm claustrophobic" because other people were close to her in the aisle. They let her wait just outside the door until everyone else was on board. It occurred to me that she doesn't recognize other people's boundaries because she lacks healthy boundaries of her own.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We show respect by listening to people and trying to follow their wishes when it comes to their feelings and body.