Friday, September 1, 2023

The Dream that Ousted Stalin from the Mausoleum



Further Notes on The Secret History of Dreaming

Dora Abramovna Lazurkina (1884-1974) Old Bolshevik and friend of Lenin, was arrested by Stalin’s secret police in 1937, jailed and tortured and sent to the Gulag. She was not released until 1955 and had nightmares about what she had endured until the end of her life.

At the 22nd Communist Party Congress in 1961 she rose to say that she had dreamed that Lenin told her that he was not happy about lying next to Stalin in the Mausoleum on Red Square. After Stalin’s death, his mummified body had been interred next to Lenin’s, Stalin in his gorgeous generalissimo’s uniform, Lenin’s in a civilian black suit.

Lazurkina told the Party Congress:

I always carry Ilyich in my heart and always, comrades, in the most difficult moments, I survived only because I had Ilyich in my heart and I consulted with him what to do. Yesterday I consulted with Ilyich, as if he stood before me as if alive and said: it is unpleasant for me to be next to Stalin, who brought so much trouble to the party.

Though Molotov, a diehard Stalinist, declared that this was the dream of a witch, she got a standing ovation and “stormy applause, according to the transcript.  Khruschev was already planning to remove Stalin from the Mausoleum but wanted cover, fearing riots by Stalin’s perfervid followers, especially in Georgia. On the night of Halloween, October 31, 1961, a secret police unit carried Stalin’s corpse to a burial plot by the Kremlin wall on Halloween, where it was stripped of its decorations before being interred under a heavy stone slab.

A year later, the Russian poet Yevgeny Yevtushenko, for whom I read translations when he spoke in Canberra in 1966, published a poem in Pravda titled “The Heirs of Stalin” in which he appealed to the regime not to let Stalin rise again: “And I, appealing to our government, petition them to double, and even triple, the number of sentries guarding this slab, and stop Stalin from ever rising again and, with Stalin, the past."

 

No comments: