Saturday, May 18, 2019

The people beyond the garden gate



Though mostly skeptical of reported sightings of the Little People, I’ve had some personal encounters – wide awake and dreaming in the animate world of nature – that have quelled my inner naysayer. Here’s a brief account of one such episode, when I stepped through a garden gate in Gloucestershire, into the greenwood:

I walk by the redwood - a newcomer to this English landscape,
 and a link to a place of my heart - above the cow pastures, and past an ancient sycamore that leans over a softly bubbling spring. I am drawn to a path that leads up to the kitchen garden on a rise behind the stone manor house. The far end of the garden is aglow with pink and peachy roses, rambling and climbing over trellises, forming a bower.
   Beyond the roses is a gate in the high, old brick wall that separates the garden from the woods beyond. In the arch is a weathered gray door, secured by a simple wooden latch. The woods are bottle green, dark as an inkpot above the top of the door. I open the gate and step through, onto a trail part covered by ground ivy.
  As I walk the path, a breeze picks up, and soon the woods are alive with whispers. The stir is most active beneath and around me, where the wind does not reach. I have the vivid sense of small creatures running and hiding. I am amazed by the thought that they are trying to hide from me. I can't see them, not yet. But I sense them quite distinctly. They are Little Ones.
   There's no need to be afraid, I tell them. I'm not going to hurt you.
   For a moment, the woods seem very still.
   Then a small country voice says, from among the roots of a tree, We thought you were one of the Lords.
   Oh, I don't think so. Who are the Lords? Do you mean the Normans? Or the Courts of the Fairies?
   Sshhhh. We don't talk about Them.
   This leaves me quite uncertain about the identity of the Lords they fear.
   Wait, they tell me. We'll get the Centaur.
   It seems that this creature is the Big Man in the society of the Little Ones. I am tremendously excited by the prospect of meeting a centaur. When he gallops up, I am amazed. He is certainly a Big Man, in this company, with a massive torso, a curling black beard, two stumpy horns - and a phallus like a club. But he is about six inches in length, from his chin to his tail. And his body below the waist is that of a billy goat, not a horse, although he does indeed stand on four legs rather than two.
-----The Goat-man tries to act bold in front of the Little Ones, but is plainly terrified. From his perspective, I am a giant, and of entirely unknown intentions.
-----I can see the whole company more distinctly now. The Little Ones are the size of elm leaves. I have no wish to disturb their society, or make their centaur lose face. I bid them good day, and follow the track deeper into the woods.
-----It does not surprise me that when I stroke the smooth bark of a beech, the tree responds. I absorb a deep knowing from within the beech, and have the impression of a feminine figure whose eyes are leaf-green, without pupil or irises. She instructs me on natural remedies for various bodily complaints; when I check them out later, they work brilliantly.


This is an excerpt from the travel journal I kept while leading a five-day summer adventure in “Reclaiming the Ancient Dreamways” at Hawkwood College in Gloucestershire, at the invitation of Celtic scholar and shaman Caitlin Matthews.

Drawig: "Gate to the Little People" by RM

1 comment:

rossan said...

That’s a translates to spanish by Robert Moss dream
Los personajes del otro lado de la puerta del jardin




Aunque escéptico de la mayoría de las historias contadas sobre los hombrecillos del bosque , tuve algunos encuentros personales – despierto y soñando en el mundo animado por la naturaleza– que calmaron mi mente negativa. Esta es una breve descripción de un episodio, cuando crucé la puerta de un jardín en Gloucestershire,
Camino por la secuoya - recién llegado a este paisaje inglés, y en enlace con un lugar de mi corazón - por encima de los pastos de la vaca, y más allá de un antiguo sicomoro que se inclina sobre un suave burbujeante manantial. Me siento atraído por un camino que conduce hasta el jardín de la cocina en una colina detrás de la casa señorial de piedra. El extremo más lejano del jardín es resplandeciente con rosas rosadas y melocotones, divagando y trepando sobre enrejados, formando una enramada.
Más allá de las rosas hay una puerta en lo alto, viejo muro de ladrillo que separa el jardín del bosque más allá. En el arco se encuentra una puerta gris curtida, asegurada por un simple pestillo de madera. Los bosques son de color verde botella, oscuro como un tintero sobre la parte superior de la puerta. Abro la puerta y paso a través, en una parte del sendero cubierto por hiedra terrestre. Mientras camino por el camino, una brisa se levanta, y pronto el bosque está vivo con susurros. La agitación es más activa debajo y alrededor de mí, donde el viento no alcanza. Tengo el sentido vívido de pequeñas criaturas corriendo y escondiéndose. Me sorprende el pensamiento de que están tratando de esconderse de mí. No puedo verlos, aún no. Pero los siento claramente. Son Pequeños.

No hay necesidad de tener miedo, les digo. No voy a hacerles daño. Por un momento, el bosque parece muy tranquilo. Entonces una pequeña voz del bosque dice, de entre las raíces de un árbol, Nosotros pensamos que usted era uno de los Señores. Oh, yo no lo creo. ¿Quiénes son los Señores? ¿Te refieres a los normandos? ¿O a las Cortes de las Hadas?
Sshhhh. No hablamos de ellos. Esto me deja bastante inseguro acerca de la identidad de los Señores que temen. Espera, me dicen. Vamos a conseguir el Centauro.

Parece que esta criatura es el Gran Hombre en la sociedad de los Pequeños. Estoy tremendamente emocionado por la perspectiva de conocer a un centauro. Cuando galopa, me sorprende. Él es ciertamente un gran hombre, en este país , con un torso masivo, una barba rizada negro, dos cuernos Stumpy - y un falo como un club. Pero tiene unos 15 centímetros de largo, desde la barbilla hasta la cola. Y su cuerpo debajo de la cintura es el de una cabra, no un caballo, aunque de hecho está en cuatro patas en lugar de dos.
La Cabra-hombre trata de actuar con audacia frente a los Pequeños, pero está totalmente aterrorizado. Desde su perspectiva, soy un gigante, y de intenciones totalmente desconocidas.

Ahora puedo ver a toda la compañía más claramente. Los Pequeños son del tamaño de las hojas de olmo. No tengo ningún deseo de perturbar su país, o hacer que su centauro pierda su cara. Les deseo un buen día, y segui la pista más profundo en el bosque. -No me sorprende que cuando acaricio la corteza lisa de una haya, el árbol responde. Absorbo un conocimiento profundo desde dentro de la haya, y tengo la impresión de una figura femenina cuyos ojos son de hoja-verde, sin pupila o iris. Ella me instruye sobre remedios naturales para varias quejas corporales; cuando las compruebo más tarde, trabajan brillantemente.